Saturday, June 12, 2010

Frogs



We've had so much rain these past two weeks off and on.

I'm a bit worried.

Not about the rain, but that I haven't seen my frogs. Yes, I know they are God's but when they come and reside with me in the pine tree haven, I'd like to claim them as my neighbors. Anyway, I haven't seen nary a Leopard Frog or Green Tree Frog. I've only seen one tiny toad in my yard near the fire pit. That's it! With this amount of rain, they usually magically appear - in my yard, hanging out on my back door catching bugs - you know, doing froggy things.

The brown wood frogs usually don't appear until later in July and August, so I won't worry about them - yet. The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has a site that has for children with photos of deformed frogs! I was dismayed!

Background Info on Deformed Frogs in Minnesota

Deformed frogs were discovered in Minnesota in 1995. The MPCA researched the problem from 1997 through 2000. As of July 2001, the MPCA is no longer funded by the Minnesota Legislature to continue deformed frog research. To learn why the funding and research was discontinued, please read the following fact sheet.

So you'll need to go to that link and read up on this! I did. This is why we need to worry:

Frog populations around the world have showed increasing signs of stress in recent years. Some species have disappeared, and others are no longer found where they used to be. An increase in deformities may be a sign that something is wrong.

Scientists are concerned about what's happening to the frogs, because the health of frogs is closely linked to the health of the environment. Frogs are sensitive to pollution, because they live at the meeting of two environments -- land and water -- and they can easily absorb pollutants through their skin. Just as miners used canaries in the mines to alert them to poisonous gases, frogs may alert us to problems in our environment.

Most of the photos are of the beloved Leopard Frog. These are the ones that my sisters, Carol and sometimes Kathy, and I would gather at Leech Lake while on vacation. They were everywhere and many of them were HUGE and they were NOT deformed! We had a "catch and release" philosophy with our frogs. Catch them all week and put them into cold water in a large cooking pot from the cabin that our mom let us keep right outside the backdoor. Then after a week of blissful and adventuresome capturing of our frogs, on the last day we'd have a ceremony of releasing them and let them go. Only to return the next summer and begin the process all over again. I like to imagine those frogs saying, "phew," and breathing a sigh of relief to each other when our parents decided that a trip to the Badlands or Colorado was in order for that year.

So, I know the frogs must be out there somewhere. I've heard them along the way on my bike rides through Quarry Park or along County Road 8. Still, I get a bit concerned about things like this and now that Minnesota has deformed frogs and we can't even find the funds to find out why, well, this is certainly not a good thing. I worry about my backyard or the world without frogs because I would miss them and also because I know that if that happens - it means bad things are happening in God's creation. I lament.

It rained a lot today. I was weary. I must say, as every writer or blogger every now and then must face human frailty. I was so weary today trying to get ready to leave for my next adventure to Kansas for my summer intensive class. My independent study time is coming to an end. This saddened me greatly. I don't know if I'll be able to continue my writing or my daily biking, In fact, I was so weary and busy getting ready with Jack, that it was too late to bike, even for night-biking-me. I run smack dab into my limitations over and over again. Everyone does...it's frustrating. At least it's frustrating for me. I lament again.

I know that I won't be able to read everything I want to in this lifetime or see every part of the world that fascinates me. I won't be able to create all the beauty I hope to. This is the lesson we all learn over time. Time is short, love is real. We are only given a little bit of time on earth and we can only do - as folks say - what we can do.

This is a lot really. We can all do and be wonderful for, with and to one another.

Tonight I lament that I may not be able to write this reflections for you, for me and for the universe longing to hear stories of healing and wonder, of lament and rejoicing.

I love writing. I love words. I love frogs and so, so, so love the world God created with you in it. I love my family and friends. So, friends, keep vigil with me and let me know what you see, notice, feel and sense.

The Camp Fire Girl has to get some shut-eye for the travels ahead.

Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment