Monday, June 14, 2010

Make New Friends...


One of our favorite camp songs that we'd sing at the beginning of our week was, Make New Friends. This little round is quite fun because - well, the words are great - the song has lots of harmony that also blends and twists and swirls in the midst of the round (which goes round and round).

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other's gold.

There is an old church-saying that goes:
Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
I'd rather think of it this way:
Friendliness is next to Godliness.

Making new friends is so important. I've been making new friends in my class. My new friend, Pat, and I had an impromptu - or should I say - improv lunch. We laughed and laughed, told stories, shared sympathy for the heavy burdens that have weighed us down and made merry in our new friendship. While we were at lunch, I saw some of my old friends who came up to greet me as if I'd never been away. It was so heartwarming and sweet. We caught up on the news from the last five years and smiled a lot. Reconnecting with old friends and cherishing them is equally essential for spiritual cheer and health. During the evenings, I catch up with dear Aikido friends who have been significant lights along my pathway.

On the way back to class as we were getting ready to go in the door, I thanked my new friend and broke into a round of Make New Friends. By miracle and magic, she joined with my in singing! It was wondrously fun. We sang the round as we went up the stairs to class. Someone else heard us singing and joined us.

This day has been a lovely time of returning and treasuring; of delighting in the newness of the day; of feeling content and whole and of celebrating that all is well -- for this day.

The Hebrew word is Dayenu - it is enough - there is grace sufficient for each day.

Dayenu, my friends - old and new - dayenu!


No comments:

Post a Comment